Friday, June 4, 2010

Book #4 A Men's Guide To Surviving Life After Work.



My 3rd book, "Behind The Sausage Curtain" a novel (as I explained on a prior post) has finally passed the editing road bump and will be back on the market
internationally via Amazon in about a week. What a feeling of relief and accomplishment.

My new book entitled "100 Things Retired Guys Should Avoid - A Men's Guide To Surviving Life After Work" is in its final stages of writing. In fact I'm a few numbers short of one hundred things yet, and am discovering that I've run through maybe all of the obvious stuff, so now progress is slower. I expect the book to be out in the fall (2010) and am excited by the possibilities of good sales because after all, this one is chock full of super funny tid-bits that not only act as survival council for retired guys, but also point out lots of wonderfully typical foibles, tendencies, oddities, pre-conceptions, strengths and weaknesses in the guy population as it crosses the border into both retirement and senior citizenship. My hope is that this book will strike a chord with not only us guys who are turning in our keys to the office, but will also resinate with anyone looking for the perfect gift for the senior fellow in the company who is leaving.

I've directed the text at humorous social commentary and slightly outrageous examples to make these points of the commentary easy to digest. After all, this is supposed to be fun reading - and I think it is.

I've divided the one hundred things retired guys should avoid into two groups. Seventy of these things (the first group) are presented in short essay form, averaging two pages each. A few of these are one-pagers and some are three pages in length. The concept is to create a guide book that can be opened at any page, read briefly (or longer) and then put down to be picked up again later. Of course there's no rule against starting at the beginning and reading it straight through. Whatever. The second group (of which there are thirty items), I've entitled "no brainers". These are simple one liners that may seem rather off-handed, but in fact are actually good hamburger helper for the main text.

Additionally, I've developed an archetypical retired guy character in the form of drawings which appear at the beginning of each of the seventy essays illustrating the subject of the essay. I'm very pleased with this work.

In my next blogs I will preview this book for your enjoyment, laughter, criticism and commentary. I should also mention that suggestions in the way of additional things retired guys should avoid are very welcome. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment